Tuesday, January 26, 2010

You're a Parenthesis



Are you jealous that I have a bootlegged DVD of the best movie out right now? (Besides Avatar, whatever that movie is. Apparently you need 3D glasses to watch it and for some reason I am instantly opposed to seeing it for that reason alone. I am against furthering technology. I still miss VHS tapes.)

Anyway, back to the point of my post. My dear friends, I own a copy of Up in the Air with THE silver fox of all foxes, George Clooney. A gift from my favorite freckle-filled face. Not quite sure why I deserved such a gem but I no doubt accepted it and am so excited to watch it again and again. Around 4 am a few days ago I popped this baby in and enjoyed every minute. It's light and sexy and entertaining. It rocks you emotionally without being over-dramatic.

After it ended (as the sun came up), I felt extremely emo and texted freckle-face to let him know how much it meant to me that he gave me this beautiful disc. You would have thought he bought me a Tiffany emerald cut the way my romantical feelings were flowing. I guess all I can say is that the film touched me and it's not even that deep. You wouldn't describe this movie as a "tear jerker." It just kind of sneaks up on you and hits that soft spot where your heart may or may not be, depending who you are.

Think Tom Cruise's character in Jerry McGuire but so much better. A fresher version. I'll make you a copy if you're nice.

Ryan Bingham: I thought I was a part of your life.
Alex Goran: I thought we signed up for the same thing... I thought our relationship was perfectly clear. You are an escape. You're a break from our normal lives. You're a parenthesis.
Ryan Bingham: I'm a parenthesis?
- Up in the Air

Final thought: How much does it suck when two people enter a relationship thinking they want the same things and exit it hating each other because one of them decided they wanted more, or less and nobody wins? Somebody said to me the other day, "I found the one, he was what I had been missing. He wrote me a letter after our first date and just said 'you're my puzzle piece'. We were married last week." How disturbingly cute is that? I have no idea how that story relates to being someone's parenthesis, but there's something about the fear of ending up someone's parenthesis that makes me want to someday find my puzzle piece.

5 comments:

  1. I am coming over tonight to watch this with you and make marshamallow milk shakes that I found on cupcakesandcashmere today. You up for it? By the way, I'm not your favorite freckle face??

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're my favorite FEMALE freckle face. And wow, I saw that on cupcakes and cashmere today too! YUMMY! Gathering at 6. You down?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cant tell you how good this piece is.. I was searching for "You are a paranthesis" and ended up here...

    I liked the Final Thought. It was kind of confusing and comprehensive :P

    btw, whats that freckle face?

    ReplyDelete
  4. could anybody explain to me what does it mean by " you're an escape" and " you're a parenthesis". thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dwayne Fishbone RichardsonNovember 13, 2012 at 2:58 PM

    I was once friends with a married woman. Wanted to have an affair with me and I took her on. The lovemaking was amazing, the best ever for the both of us. When the intimacy stopped, I thought we could go back to the way it was before. Found out she wanted no parts of my friendship. At best, I would be on the outside looking in. As she warmly greet others with laughter and hugs, I was to be kept at arms distance. I could no longer accept being treated as second class, as a broken vibrator. So I dropped her as my FB friend. Sad part is that I still love her. I'd lay down my life to make sure she'd return home safely to her husband.

    So when I saw that film and she said that line, that hit me right in the gut. I got it.

    ReplyDelete